- Array shortlisted in Commart’s 2020 Typography Competition.
- Contributed to Wordshape’s Visual Strategies for the Apocalypse.
- Array discussed on Fontribute.
- Chapman made it on Fontspring’s Best of 2018 list.
- Steven Heller wrote about Stack for Print Magazine.
- Gastromond named as a 2016 notable release by Typographica.
- An AIGA Central PA Interview.
- 2015 Print Magazine Merit for Essonnes.
- Type Thursday Interview in which James spoke about Essonnes and tailoring.
- I Love Typography article in which James wrote about the creation of Essonnes.
- Garvis chosen as Typographica’s Favorite Typefaces of 2012. Chosen by Dan Reynolds.
Typeface Development (Opentype Coding, Hinting, Spacing, Kerning)
43 S 3rd St
Philadelphia, PA 19106
Along with designing and releasing retail type JTD designs custom type for a wide variety of clients and industries. A selection is shown below.
- Hamilton Type Foundry
- P22 Type Foundry
- Samarskaya & Partners
- Some Days
- University of Nebraska
- Valve Software
- Vassar College
Over the course of the past two decades, James has made clothes, type, identities, music, musical instruments, albums, websites, car parts, furniture, and (re)built cars. He spent several years apprenticing as a bespoke tailor. After which he ran an auto upholstery shop. In 2009, he became actively involved in both graphic and type design. He graduated with honors from The State University of New York Fredonia with a BFA in Graphic Design. James is also co-administrator of TypeDrawers and teaches Typeface Design at Tyler School of Art at Temple University.
Rachel graduated from the Tyler School of Art in Philadelphia with a BFA in sculpture. She grew up learning to make furniture, repair cars, and had a great interest in machinery. She is currently involved with coding in Python, robotics, Digital Modeling and Design. :-)
JTD would not exist without the help of an amazing community of people. It’s probably not wise to link to other foundries on your website but if you aren’t buying type here, these are all excellent people. A special thank you goes out to: Rich Kelger, Ian Lynam, Jeremy Mickel, Dan Reynolds, David Jonathan Ross, Megan Urban and Jason Dilworth, Craig Welsh and Jenna Flickinger, and anyone who has ever bought a typeface—you’re all the best!